CID makes explosive revelations in Court over Easter attacks

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID), through the Attorney General’s Department, today made a series of explosive allegations before the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court, claiming former State Intelligence Service (SIS) Director Suresh Salley had played a central role in the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks and in a wider network of alleged politically motivated operations.
Appearing for the CID, Additional Solicitor General Dilip Peiris told court that investigators had recorded a statement from Asad Maulana in France, describing it as a major breakthrough in the ongoing Easter Sunday investigations.
Peiris said a team led by CID Director Shani Abeysekara had travelled to France and recorded Maulana’s statement at the official residence of Sri Lanka’s Ambassador. According to the ASG, the statement contained extensive details regarding the Easter Sunday attacks.
Citing Maulana’s statement, Peiris told court that Suresh Salley had allegedly acted as the “mastermind” behind the Easter attacks and that the operation had allegedly been carried out to fulfil a political objective.
The prosecution further alleged that after the Easter attacks, former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Basil Rajapaksa and Namal Rajapaksa had visited Batticaloa Prison and met Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pillayan. According to the submissions, Pillayan had allegedly been informed he would be released within a week of Gotabaya Rajapaksa becoming President.
Peiris further alleged that after Gotabaya Rajapaksa assumed office, Salley, who had served as head of Military Intelligence, was appointed as head of the State Intelligence Service in order to prevent intelligence information from reaching other institutions.
The Attorney General’s Department also informed court that members including Zaini, identified as a brother of Zahran Hashim, who had been remanded following the March 10, 2017 Alliyar Junction clash, had allegedly received financial assistance for bail from Military Intelligence and Pillayan.
According to the submissions, Military Intelligence had allegedly provided Rs. 250,000 in public funds while Pillayan had contributed Rs. 50,000, with the arrangement said to have taken place at the request of Salley.
The prosecution alleged that public funds had been used to protect persons linked to extremist activity and claimed such actions were intended to prevent information from surfacing before an election.
The ASG further alleged that members linked to Pillayan and several individuals attached to Military Intelligence had jointly carried out politically motivated contract killings and operations.
The court was told that alleged crimes linked to the group included the abduction of journalist Prageeth Ekneligoda, the assault on Keith Noyahr, the killing of Lasantha Wickrematunge and the attack on Upali Tennakoon.
Peiris further claimed that more than 2,000 members linked to Pillayan’s group had received salaries through Military Intelligence and that public funds had also allegedly been used to pay legal fees for individuals facing legal action.
The ASG also alleged that after the Easter attacks, Asad Maulana’s family had been moved to a hotel in Ahungalla by Salley and that Maulana had allegedly been promised employment at an embassy. Investigators had obtained hotel records in relation to the claim, court heard.
Responding on behalf of Salley, President’s Counsel Shavindra Fernando rejected the allegations, arguing that Maulana’s statement could not be accepted as evidence unless tested through cross-examination and challenged before court.
Following submissions from all parties, the Magistrate announced that rulings on key matters, including requests concerning Salley’s appearance and his application to make a statement under Section 127, would be delivered on July 1.
Salley remains under detention orders pending further proceedings. (Newswire)
The post CID makes explosive revelations in Court over Easter attacks appeared first on Newswire.


